Thursday, April 16, 2009

Youth Soccer

As another H.S. soccer season ends and I look at the girls graduating it reminds me of when they started. My wife coached most of the senior girls (including my daughter) in club soccer when they were U-8 and several years after that. I remember parents being concerned that their little girl was not tough enough to play Division 1 soccer, a girl crying because her shoelaces were wet and several of them staring at the clouds, grass, etc. during the match. I remember all the lunches, trips, hotels, and travel with the teams, but what I remember most is the laughter and fun. What isn't a big deal are the losses which we thought were the end of the world, the coaching mistakes which "cost us the game", or that crazy referee "who cost us the game". After being a player, coach and referee I have learned (it took a while) that the best games are the ones where as a parent I listen to my ipod or talk with other parents and just enjoy the game. I was not be calmest coach or parent in the past, but looking back at those years, I realized it was a waste of time, energy and enjoyment of the game. It is sad to see the seniors leave, but fun to remember the past adventures, USA cup against the monster team from Canada, Embassy suites in Austin, lunches and naps in the car between tournament games. Oh and by the way the little girl who cried over her shoelaces being wet became one of the top forwards in the league, the parents who were not sure if their little girl was ready for Division 1 became an amazing defender and all of them became unbelievable young ladies. Thank you all for the fun years and memories.

1 comment:

The Artful Dodger said...

Ah memories ...

I injured my knee last fall and need surgery, so I haven't been able to referee many games in the past year. But the unexpected benefit has been being able to watch my daughter's U-12 team play. Lots of fun!!! And having purchased a new camera, I've been busy on the touchline!